Friday, February 23, 2007

Poetry journal Week 4

Elisabeth Magana
AP Lit / Devin
Feb 23, 2007
Contemporary Poet



Not Quite There Yet

I am a new person I’d say
For giving you up and for saying so
In cheese poetry;
But there is that more interesting girl he once met
She’s definitely quite hard to forget
And As the complex yet delicate workings of the world
Do fierce and rhythmic swing of the wind
I thought, my fears for once were gone
I attempt to lessen my loss with uneven lines that somehow seem to rhyme
Change almost imposed on you cannot be so genuine
For it is not done voluntarily

But I have made a strong attempt
To be some girl, some student, someone
That doesn’t cause you any pain
And by posing here next to you
Grief sorrow and pain
Grow from emotions to
Prevailing eternity
And I who used to be that one girl
Now grow to be this girl
who does not seem to know where she stands.

I attempted to copy the structure in the poem The Triple Fool, in which he talks about some one he could not be, a wise man. In my poem I write about someone who I was almost forced to be. I take the perspective of a girl who was not loved therefore she felt compelled to change. She explains her sorrow and loneliness through poetry. Then I go into explaining how that change that she underwent is only superficial because it is almost impossible to change your nature just for someone else. I also exaggerate the reference I make to nature and the world in lines 7-8 just so that my poem could sound a little bit like the poem by John Donne.

No comments: