Friday, February 16, 2007

Poetry Journal #1 week two

Title: My Wicked Wicked Ways
Style: Personal Response

The diction of the poem implies that the speaker is a kid, and towards the end of the poem it is revealed that it is indeed a baby, a baby who is aware of the marital problems going on around her parents. The poem is written as if it were a prediction therefore the occasion seems to be as one in which the speaker is going back in time to when she was a child, and was witnessing her life being replayed in front of her. There could be many other interpretations. The purpose of the poem seems to be to create awareness about the psychological problems that could be imposed on children if they are exposed to dysfunctional marriages throughout their childhood. The poem’s structure and the economy of words are well employed aspects in this poem which add a lot of meaning. The poem has short very clearly stated lines. A life story if told throughout the poem, and the causes and consequences are also of the life she lead are also mentioned. The tone of the poem is gloomy. The innocence of the speaker is clearly perceived thought the adequate use of simple words. The audience seems to be the general public or someone who the speaker is trying to justify her wicked ways to. This poem reminds me of my parents. My parents got married when my mom was 17 and my dad was19. My mom had me immediately after they got married. My father cheated on my mom multiple times and they would argue but now they do not even think about it. My mother was a young immigrant mother with no one to take care of her. I believe that the mother in the poem was in a vulnerable situation as well therefore she was unable to leave the cheating husband. These stories frustrate me there should definitely be more help out there for families in crisis, especially young mothers who have no one to turn to. It is necessary to intervene before the children in the relationship pay the consequences for the lack of support

No comments: